How 1-Minute Can Get You Out of Any Funk

Overlooking cliff mauiBeing in a funk has to be one the worst feelings there is.

Call it what you want— being cranky, feeling depressed, or just stuck in a season of your life. Whatever the case may be, we’ve all been there, and even bought the T-shirt too. But get ready to learn how 1-minute can get you out of any funk.

But how do you get out of that funk?

What I’m about to share with you is something that is a bit of a secret.  Professional boxers do it.  Bowlers do it.  Even Gamblers do it.  And you know what?  You can do it too!  And best of all— it only takes a minute, (yep, that’s right), a minute.  So, get your game face on. It’s time to get you out of your funk!

The first time I observed this technique in action, I wasn’t even aware of it.  At the time  I was working at a Starbucks in Seattle. My wife was about to give birth, and I was a new, green apron-wearing barista.

A 40-something female executive came walking in through the doors, and was obviously having a bad day, and decided to take it out on this poor little cashier gal I was working with.  In true jerk-face fashion she said, “Uh…. Are you new or something? Why is this taking soooo long? …Oh my gosh. This is unbelievable.”  Frothing some two percent, I almost began frothing at the mouth! I stood there— dumbfounded.

After the customer walked out the door, she was almost in tears.

All of us there were waiting for her to say something.  She took a deep breath, looked up at the ceiling, put her hands on her hips and said, We’ll… I’m not letting THAT LADY ruin my entire day.  As she pointed at her chest she said, “I’m going to have a GOOD day!!”  And then just like that, she just went right back to whistling while she worked.  To me, that’s amazing.

Do you believe that?!  She changed her state!  All in a minute!  What could have been major incident ended up being something that didn’t even ruffle this little gal’s feathers. What could have been a funk that may have ended up lasting a day, week, or a month— ended in a minute.

How did she do it?

During the last 20 years, I’ve observed the pattern in many people and professionals. Once you know what the experts do, and see it repeated over and over, you begin to pick up on it, and say, “Wow, this works?!”  So, how do professionals, and multimillionaires, like  Daniel Negreanu, (The World’s #1 Poker Player), stay in control, and not get stuck in an ugly funk?  How did this Starbucks cashier do it?

How to Get Out of Any Funk in Under a Minute

1.   She changed how she Breathed. (Tightness of breath brings anxiety, and is indicative of fear)
    2.   She changed her Vision.  (Remember how she looked up at the ceiling?)
    3.   She changed her Body Position.  (Hands on the hips was a sign that authority was rising-up in her)
    4.   She changed her Language (Words).  (Stay silent, and you’ll stay in your funk)

Now, am I saying, “Just start breathing weird when you’re in a funk and start staring at the ceiling.”?  Of course not.

You need to interpret it for yourself, and see what works for you.  Some will take a deep breath, then remember the ultimate vision for their life. Then they’ll go for a walk, and start to pray.  Four separate steps is all it is.  Simple. And you can do it too.

Robb & Lokasi Jumping

Robb & Lokasi getting out of their funk

It didn’t take months or years— but just a minute.

Here’s my question to you:  How do you, personally, get out of your funk?

Have any tips to share with the rest of us?  Leave a comment below and let us know how 1-minute can get you out of any funk. Our community of fellow strugglers is growing.  And you never know— your comment could really help encourage someone out of their own personal funk.

Aloha!

Robb

Robb Gorringe

Robb Gorringe is the creator of Today I Can Change, www.todayicanchange.com. His goal is to empower you to dream bigger, and to help you experience your own personal revolution.

Comments

1. says

Hi Robb,

I’ve been using this technique for about 1 year but not in as much detail. When I get annoyed I’ve trained myself to now (like your example) just say “i’m not letting this ruin my day”. Why let one incident spoil any of your time?

I will definitely start using ‘refocus your vision’

Great tips

Naomi

• says

Hi Naomi,

Yes, it’s a technique at first— just like when we’re seeking to reinforce a habit to overcome some vice in our life. But then it becomes an internal monitor that’s always on wherever you go. Actually, after a while, you can start to notice others that aren’t aware of this technique, and you can see just how easily they get frazzled. Hey, I don’t always get it right, but I’ll tell ya, it’s more like second nature now than many years ago. Thanks for stopping by!

Blessings,

Robb

2. says

Hi Robb

That’s a great tip! I can see lots of uses for it in the next few phone-calls I have to make LOL.

Your 4 steps are written down and taped to the filing cabinet – which is good LOL

Thanks, Joy

• says

Hi Joy!

(…Love that name, by-the-way). Thanks for taking time to share some feedback on my article. I feel honored that you’d tape-up my 4 points to your filing cabinet. Wow? Next time… I’ll be shooting for the Fridge! ;-)

Aloha to ya!

Robb

3. says

Hi Robb,

I LOVED this post! This is so right on – it is powerful stuff when in the moment you make a choice to change your breathing, your vision, your body and your language – POWERFUL! It all starts in that moment when you make a decision to change. Isn’t it so incredible to know that you have that power at any moment, that no one has the ability to ruin your day. My life has change so drastically since I learned the power we have in every moment AND every minute :) to change. Thank you for sharing and in such a positive way (I loved the leaping picture!) how we can turn a potentially horrible situation into a better one through our own choices. Looking forward to more of your posts!

Karen

• says

Hi Karen,

It’s so awesome you’ve gotten some powerful truths under your belt to bring about change, AND… that you LOVED my article. ;-)

I guess since you’ve written, “Four Steps to L.E.A.P.” that (yes) you’d pretty much dig my ‘leaping’ shot. Mahalo for stopping by to share such a sweet comment!

Aloha,

Robb

4. says

Hi Robb

Really liked your post. Just wrote down those 4 steps, will have to remember them.

When I have had some really aggravating situations (when I was working for someone) I would take sometime away and say GRRRRRRRRRRRR. It helped, it got rid of the bad energy from the frustrations I was feeling. Yeah, I guess breathing was different in that case. Then I would calm down and try to move on.

I guess it is also about not letting others take “your thunder”. I try to breathe slower when I am frustrated, it is calming. Going to have to remember the vision and body position to give it a little more power.

Mary

• says

Hi Mary,

Well, if all you said was, “Grrrr!” that’s pretty good, I’d say! Life is too short to allow others to hold us in some kind of a funk’y emotional holding pattern. We’re alive for a reason, and life was went for livin’!

Bless ya, for stopping by. I’m really lovin’ this commentluv community, and all the amazing people, (like you), I get to meet.

Keep that ‘Thunder of yours!

Robb

5. says

Personally, I like to analyze the situation, instead of just being frustrated by it. I do get frustrated of course, but I like to think that every bad situation can teach us something.

Take for instance: Just yesterday, we got one inch of snow (I still had to go to college…but fortunately they closed the campus at noon).

I take the bus home – about 1 1/2 hr ride with traffic, but yesterday, that ride lasted about 10 hours (thanks to icy roads).

I was frustrated at first (Time being wasted!). Then I realized, there is no point in being angry….what is it going solve?

So, I used some of the time to think about blogging…slept a little and so forth. Sure, a lot of the time was wasted, but it was a great experience (I will be prepared next time!).

Anyways, thank you for sharing this tip, Robb :)

• says

Hey Jeevan!

Bro, if you can remain calm, cool, and collected on a 10-hour bus ride in the snow— you’ve got a whole lot wisdom, maturity, and grace. I would like to think that I would have remained calm, but… who knows. I might have blown a gasket!

But I like how you mentioned you used it as a time to be productive, and hey, you gotta a sweet nap in too! How cool is that?!! ;-) Although I haven’t seen any here in Maui, with a mature response like yours, I say: “Let it snow, let it snow let it snow!”

Robb

6. says

This is a great post, Robb – your story about the cashier really brings the message to life. I think I’ve got better at getting out of funks quickly as I’ve got older – I guess with the wisdom of age, you just begin to realise what a waste of energy it is getting in a flat spin, often about something that’s essentially quite trivial. I tend to take a deep breath and talk myself out of it, but I’m going to try to memorize your four-step process, because I’m sure it’s very effective. I know how the way we hold ourselves can affect our mood, also the words we use, whether out loud or to ourselves.

Thanks for a fantastic bit of advice, entertainingly conveyed :-)

• says

Hi Susan,

Yeah, the experience with that cashier, co-worker of mine came to mind, and I began to see the pattern. But you’re right— it’s a huge energy sucker to let just one person ruin your entire day. I really appreciate your comment!

Wow? You’d try to memorize my 4-points? That’s so awesome! I definitely will check out your site. Thanks so much for stopping by. You totally brightened my day. :-) Bless ya!

Robb